St Mary’s CE VC First School
Charminster, Dorchester


What is SEN?
Some children find learning more challenging than others and may need extra support to achieve their full potential. For example, they might have difficulty with: Expressing themselves , Interacting with others, Reading, writing and maths , Following instructions, Controlling their emotions, Sensory or physical mobility
These difficulties can be barriers to learning. Schools assess all children to identify their strengths and needs and how they can best be supported. Children who need extra help with their learning may receive additional support under one of the following categories: 
SEN support 
An EHC plan
What is SEN support?
SEN support describes the additional help that assists children to access the curriculum.
This might include: additional support in the classroom, additional equipment to access the curriculum, small group learning, support from specialists such as speech and language therapists.
Schools will work with parents when agreeing what support to provide and what it will achieve.
What are EHC plans?
If your child has more complex needs, it might be necessary to  ask for an assessment  for an EHC plan. 
How will the school decide what type of support my child receives?
Every child’s needs are different, and may change over time. The school should assess each child’s needs closely to identify which support suits him/her best. The school should also regularly review the support your child receives to see what is working and what isn’t, and incorporate your views on this too.
How do I know if my child needs SEN support?
If your child is not making expected progress for his/her year group, he/she may need SEN support. The school should discuss your child’s needs with you before placing your child on SEN support.
What if I think my child needs further support?
Please speak to Miss Thornicroft (SENDCo), if you have any queries regarding further support for your child.